For the perfect beef tagine, why not try our spicy and fragrant tagine recipe which doesn’t require any special equipment, just time…
500g Beef or lamb, diced
2 Small Onions
1 Small Red Chilli
6cm Fresh Ginger
2 Garlic Clove
1 tbsp Mango Chutney
Dried Apricots or Sultanas
2 tins Chopped Tomatoes
1tsp each Ground Turmeric, Ground Coriander & Ground Cumin
Flaked Almonds & Ground Almonds (both optional)
Natural Yogurt (optional)
200g Feta Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 140°c/Gas 1.
- Finely slice the onions and brown in a pan, remove and then brown the lamb along with a small knob of butter/ghee. Once browned add finely chopped chilli, garlic and ginger along with the onions. Cook for 5mins.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, sultanas or chopped dried apricots and a ½tbsp of mango chutney along with the spice mix. Transfer the entire tagine into an oven proof dish with lid and cook in the oven for about 2 hours, but the longer it cooks the better it is (4-5 hours is great).
- Once cooked, add either a little water to the tagine if it is too thick or some ground almonds if it is too thin. Add a good pinch of salt and lots of pepper with chopped coriander.
- Place the couscous into a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Once the couscous is done (5mins) add chopped coriander and feta.
- Place the tagine into large bowls and swirl some natural yogurt over the top. Finish with some flaked almonds and serve with the couscous.