- 1 large red cabbage approx 1kg sliced thinly removing the core
- 25 gm butter
- 2 red onions chopped
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick or 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 150ml port ( optional) or 150ml water = Fluid
- 1 apple cored and chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- heat and melt the butter in a large saucepan into which you pop the onions which you gently soften.( 5mins)
- Add the orange zest and cinnamon and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage, apple, orange juice, vinegar and fluid.
- Bring the contents to a boil then reduce temperature to a simmer .Cover and cook for 45 minutes- 1 hour until the cabbage is soft.
Note; improves if cooked a day before use and can be eaten cold with meat cuts. Remember to remove the cinnamon stick!